CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Kinley Learns Her Letters!

Yesterday we decided it was time for Kinley to start learning to recognize letters of the Alphabet. She has learned to "spell" a few things (Kinley, Jax, Mom), but only by memorization, we decided the next thing to teach her was to be able to see each letter and recognize it in a group. She makes mistakes (I actually wanted to film another video where she didn't make a mistake to post, but decided it was best to remeber that she isn't perfect at our little game) but she is sure trying hard she usually gets most if not all letters correct each go round. You can see the game we have been playing the last two days of moving the letters across the fridge. She is eager to learn, but more eager to meet goals and earn her reward (in this case a cookie, and getting to call Gma Oakley and Gma Kerry to tell them what she learned).

I also want to add that she didn't know I had already cut the video off and yelled right into the camera - BYE GRANDMA - she knew she was making the video for her Gmas to see!

As of tonight before bed she can recognize the following letters: (W,E,R,T,I,Y,O,P,A,S,J,K,L,X,B,&M), tomorrow Momma's got to go thru the toy bins and look for the rest of the magnetic letters so we can finish the fridge game!

Other notes: The letter O is "kinda like Gma Oakley", the letter Y is "kinda like Gma Kerry" - we have no idea why, finally the letter S is "kinda like Cookie Monster" - we know Cookie Monster sings about the letter S on a Sesame Street she has watch recently so that was fun to know she is truly learning from that show!

One last note, Kinley thanks Brennan for his inspiration (that little smarty pants!) and Aunt "teacher" Jenn for the idea to use the magnetic letters - they have been great!

So I can see that the video is not working, maybe it is my sign that I have to shoot another video where she does get ALL letters correct - heheehehe! I loaded it last night and our electricity blink while it was loading so I thought maybe that had something to do with it. I've tried several times today and can't get it to work, maybe when Ryan gets home he can fix it or we will just take another video later!

4 comments:

Grandma said...

Very smart girl. Can't wait to see it in person.

Devion said...

So, what is the game? Can you explain it. A video didn't load for me if you had one, so I'd like to know the process of the game. Thanks! :)

Jessica said...

Devon, the "game" isn't much. We just sit on the floor in the kitchen with 8-15 letters on the freezer size of the fridge and I call out letters and she rushes to grab them and either hand them to me or stick them on a coloring page, receipt, picture, or just a specific spot, etc... on the fridge side. Today she called the letters out to me and then handed them to me. It really is just moving the letters and having fun with it instead of just pointing to letters on a piece of paper or a book.

GGma said...

Sounds like Kinley is having a great time playing with Momma and learning a lot, too.